Temporary feelings of sadness or pessimism are common to all of us. But when you experience prolonged or frequent periods of despair, hopelessness and apathy, it may be time to reach out for professional help.
Signs of depression include:
- Diminished interest in activities
- Difficulty concentrating or making decisions
- Excessive or inappropriate guilt
- Insomnia or hypersomnia nearly every day
- Preoccupation with death or dying
- Memory loss
- Marked decrease or increase in appetite
- Loss of energy
- Withdrawal from friends or isolation
- Ongoing feelings of worthlessness
Depression, irritability and apathy can have a very harmful effect on your relationships and your work and may lead to unhealthy coping behaviors, such as eating disorders, substance abuse and self-harm.
When I work with mood disorders, I first want to rule out any medical factors, so I recommend a thorough medical evaluation with a physician. At the same time, I’ll work with you to explore the underlying causes for the depression and to find solutions for you to regain a sense of pleasure and fulfillment in your life. With the help of therapy, my clients often report a greater sense of self-confidence and comfort in their own skin.
I’d love to help you feel better about yourself and your relationships. Click on the link below to contact me!